Saturday, January 17, 2009

What does medicine really know?

It's been a dramatic week in the Deetz belly. The midwives at the birth center sent me for a sonogram and non-stress test this week because they were seeing a combination of things they wanted to check out. Everything seemed to be fine except for an excess of amniotic fluid known as polyhydramnios. It can be serious if severe, but apparently my case is mild. Nevertheless, they insist on a weekly sonogram to monitor the situation.

Is this really necessary? I can't imagine that many sonograms is a good idea. Overuse of ultrasonic waves has been linked to hearing loss and I am not convinced they even know what they are looking for. She is a happy baby and I am certain she will let us know the moment anything spoils her mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment